Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Day of Rest

map of the world by drawn by Br. Tony Leon - notice anything?

The courtyard at Dimesse

Mosquito netting on the beds
So excited to finally be here
Coming over yesterday, the pilot alerted us to the fact that we were approaching the continent of Africa, at Alexandria.  It hit me then, just how far away from home I am.  Africa!  So many connotations - and I am here!  I couldn't keep from staring out the plane window, to see what I could discern about this mysterious, exciting,tumutlous, far away world.  It looked very barren - no sign of any habitation.  Even as the night came on, no sign of lights, until we started our approach to Nairobi.  Which looked huge from the air.
  It IS far away, yet  in true Marist style, I feel very welcomed and comfortable.  Upon arrival, just got unpacked and went to sleep ( under my mosquito netting).  Today, a tour of Dimesse then back to St. Joseph for more rest and dinner.  Tomorrow - Nairobi National Park!  Our residence is just on the border of it.  Can't wait to experience it.  Bernie - this will be where I see the wildlife!The retreat houses ( we've seen two so far) are beautiful.  Br. Steve and I are at the St. Joseph House, just down the road from Dimesse, where the main assembly is held and where some of the delegates are staying.  We have an easy day today - Sunday - to relax, rest, and get ready for the next 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment